Well, it’s been three weeks of the Original Weight Watchers Diet for us and we are ready to talk about what we lost, what we gained, and whether we’d do it again.
We were both excited the first week of this diet. We were doing it! We were going to lost weight! This diet created sea change in our eating palettes and those changes allowed us to make a few observations about ourselves.
What We Lost:
- The beginning of this diet found us whining. We really did not like the restrictions it was placing on us and the changes that were being foisted upon our lives. We came to realize that, much like the grieving process for loss, we were experiencing a grieving process for our relationship with food. Everyone eats for a variety of reasons and a diet gives us the opportunity to redefine that relationship in a healthier manner. Using this diet aided us in beginning to lose our unhealthy relationship with food and move on to the next phase of dieting: aligning.
What We Gained:
- We began to align our lives to better fit the constricts of our chosen diet. We gained a new appreciation for breakfast; not the bowl of cereal eaten on the fly but the real sit down breakfast. We have found we quite enjoy preparing our breakfast and sitting down together to eat it and begin our day.
- Brooke gained a new appreciation for many new foods. She now eats grapefruit, salmon, oranges, shrimp, and leafy green vegetables. We both committed to eat fish at least once a week. Our favorite so far is Cilantro Rosted Salmon; it’s tasty!
- We never considered ourselves to be picky eaters but have gained new insights into our eating issues. We doubt we’ll ever eat onions or cooked tomatoes but we are working on expanding the variety of foods we will eat to increase the nutritional value of our meals.
- Brooke gained 3.2 pounds overall. Sherry gained 3.9 pounds overall. The scale is going in the wrong direction! We had maintained our current weights for the past 6 months so gaining weight while on a diet was a bit disgruntling.
**Update** If you want a diet that is very effective at taking off the weight, check out The Cupcake Time Diet. It’s a healthy and effective way to lose weight and is based on the latest research!
Diet Details: We had a difficult time sticking to this diet. We even gave it an extra week so that we were out of the whining phase and actually following the diet. The secret for success on this diet is creating a very tight menu up front and then being willing to follow it. We did well the first week and both lost a small amount of weight. The next week brought stressful midterms for Brooke which left her not willing to follow the strict structure and her wanting comfort foods that weren’t allowed. The final week we enjoyed Spring Break in the Poconos with Emma and Jake. We really weren’t willing to closely follow Weight Watchers Original Diet while vacationing. We carefully packed our food calendar and the correct foods for the trip. And we ate the food (and then a lot more other food. We found the best Thai food restaurant there!). A veteran dieter may succeed with this diet but we just don’t seem to have the skills to cope with stress and vacations without using our deplorable past eating habits. Not yet, anyway. When life took over, we ignored the diet and the food calendar and then couldn’t find our way back for the entire day. This is probably why Weight Watchers changed their diet strategy and now use a Points Plus system that allows you to eat what you want when you want as long as you don’t exceed your points.
We started with the Original Weight Watchers Diet because we had heard so many people say they preferred it to the new Weight Watchers Points Plus system. If we were to use Weight Watchers again, we would choose the Points Plus system all the way. However, we learned more about ourselves and our relationship with food using this Original diet. We believe that alone is extremely useful as it has pushed us to commit to eating a wider variety of foods.
Weight Watcher’s Original Diet: 2.7
Educational: 5 Doable: 2 Did we lose weight: 1
What’s Next? We know it’s important to lose weight in a way that redefines our relationship with food. There are tons of programs to choose from that may (or may not) meet our needs. After much research and a long discussion about diets, we decided that perhaps some drastic weight loss up front might cheer us up and at least get us back to our original weights. We have decided to next try The Satan Diet.
Thank you to those of you who suggested diets for us – we really want to succeed at this! If any of you have a suggestion for a diet program you would like us to try, let us know!